As the proud owner of a really ancient PC I’m always trying to squeeze the most out of it. As for many others the 9.0 patch hit me with quite a big drop in FPS.
Here are some steps that helped me improve my FPS in 9.0:
- Use Wot-Tweaker to turn off smoke and particle effects (changes are easily reversible)
- Install this small mod to remove any FPS drop while entering zoom mode (works wonders!)
- Tweak the ingame graphics setting, especially Improved and Standard mode make a big difference
- Enable Dynamic change of effects quality (this improved my performance greatly)
- Overwrite res/engine_config.xml with this one (make a backup of the old one! – it didn’t improve my performance, but I have a really old core2duo without Intel TurboBoost™ capability)
- Disable TrippleBuffering (see this post on FTR)
Hotfix 9.0.1 will hit on Friday and resolve some performance issues, most importantly the “freeze” when the first tank in a match dies.
If you have any other suggestions feel free to comment and I might add them to the post.